Wednesday, August 20, 2014

BTS Teacher Week: Why Wednesday (Organization)

I have a problem with organization. Every year I say that I will come in before school starts and overhaul my classroom. Then things happen, I talk to much to my coworkers I hadn't seen much over the summer, and then bam! It's crunch time just getting my class ready for the first day. I was talking to one of my good friends about this today, and we decided that we would work on one little thing a week over the school year. We will organize in baby steps. The plan is to ask each other each week "what are you working on". Hopefully this will keep us going. Anyway, there is SOME organization going on in my room.

In an effort to get organized, I purchased this beauty today. It is the 26 Drawer Cabinet from the Container Store. I had tried to buy one from Home Depot last year, but forgot about it after I searched and all of the local stores were out. Anyway, I am going to clean up my desk area, and use this adorable pack from Learning In Wonderland to decorate.

(Click the picture to go to the TPT listing)

This is the top drawer of my file cabinet. I am very proud that I have kept this organized for the past few years. In each file I have everything I need for each letter of the alphabet. They are organized in alphabetical order in the cabinet for easy access, but I do not teach them from A-Z. 

Last summer I took on the task of organizing my books. I divided out the books for the class library, and the ones I keep in the cabinet. This is what it looked like (by subject) after my amazing mom and I organized for hours. My plan was to scan them all into my iPad so I could have an easy access inventory, but that just started taking too long, so I had to abandon the idea and just shelve the books.
 This is what it looks like now. 




This year I plan on taking all of my printed masters (from TPT lessons, books, that I have made, etc.) and putting them in binders by month. Stacking them in piles on my desk (then shoving them in my desk or a cabinet before Back to School Night, conferences, and Open House) just isn't working for me anymore. I had every intention of starting in May, but I only got as far as making the cute labels for the front and spine of each binder.  

 Last but not least, I have my month boxes. They are copy paper boxes that I have covered in black and labeled with each month. In those boxes I have all of my crafts for each month. They have the pattern, directions for parent helpers, and a sample. When it is time to prep, we pull down the box, pick out the baggie, and get the craft ready. I LOVE these. If I have extra help I can always pull down the box for future months and have parents prep it ahead of time.



Well, there you have my attempt at organization. I have every intention of getting better this year. We'll see how that goes. 







No comments:

Post a Comment